Did you know that more Americans are expected to hit the road this summer than last? If you’re one of them, we know you have a lot on your mind, planning where you’ll go and what you’ll do, but don’t forget to also prepare your vehicle for the haul ahead. Whether the jaunt is 50 miles or 500 or more, you and your family are going to be spending a considerable amount of time in your vehicle, so you’ll want to make sure it’s safe.
At Les Schwab Tire Centers, they’ve seen it all, so they’ve gathered their top tips to help you be well prepared for anything that comes your way. (Except for the inevitable “Are we there yet?” question—you’re on your own for that.)
Prepare Your Vehicle
• Les Schwab may be biased, but tires are extremely important. Check yours for wear and proper inflation. Make sure you have a spare in the trunk and check its air pressure—it won’t do you any good if it’s flat.
• Inspect your headlights, brake lights, brakes, transmission fluid, antifreeze, and oil. For guidance, refer to Les Schwab’s essential checklist.
• Get a full tank of gas the day before, so you have one less thing to do during the get-out-of-town scramble.
• If you feel you need some expert assistance, take advantage of Les Schwab’s complimentary Pre-Trip Safety Check: They’ll handle the inspection while you enjoy free popcorn in their lounge.
Expect The Unexpected
• Plan ahead to avoid getting stuck on the road. Pay attention to local weather and road condition advisories and plan your route ahead of time. For up-to-date travel conditions, visit www.lesschwab.com/resources/road-conditions, where you’ll be directed to local Department of Transportation road cams, mileage calculators, scenic byway routes, and weather forecasts.
• In case the unexpected happens, pack your trunk with warm clothes, a couple of flashlights, extra food and water, and a few of the family’s favorite games.
• You should also pack a roadside safety kit to ensure you can handle any detour. It should include gloves, jumper cables, essential tools for fixing a flat, flares, and a first-aid kit and blanket.
Keep Companions Safe And Happy
• Make sure kids sit in the backseat with a car seat or booster seat to ensure their safety.
• Traveling with a furry family member? Keep your dog restrained with a pet seatbelt or in a kennel while the car is in motion. Remember, this isn’t just for your dog’s safety, but for the safety of everyone inside the vehicle.
• Nothing derails a family car trip faster than bored kids. A well-stocked activity bag—books, games, a tablet—can help you log your miles in peace.
• Hunger will also cut into everyone’s fun. Pack healthy snacks and beverages to keep spirits high and minimize pit stops for fast food.
For more information on how Les Schwab tire experts can help you gear up for your road trip, visit www.lesschwab.com.
About Les Schwab Tire Centers
Les Schwab Tire Centers (www.lesschwab.com) is one of the leading independent tire dealers in the United States, with more than 7,000 employees and more than 470 locations throughout Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, California, Nevada, Utah, and Colorado. The company has been recognized for its business practices through several awards, including a Milestone award from the Oregon Sustainability Board, Oregon Economic and Community Development Department honors, an Environmental Excellence award from the Association of Washington Business, an Integrity Counts award from the Northern Idaho Better Business Bureau, and The Oregonian’s 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 Top Workplaces recognition. - NAPSI